The Catholic University of America

Federal Work Study


What is Federal Campus Work-Study? / How Do I Get Work-Study/ Important Dates
Campus Work-Study Fall Semester / Campus Employment Fair /
Campus Work-Study Spring Semester
  Changing Your Campus Work-Study Job
Non Work-Study Campus Employment

There are two types of student employment positions on campus, work-study and non-work-study.

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program that provides subsidized part-time employment for students with financial need. The FWS amount in your aid package is the allotment of money that you may earn during the academic year. Earnings are used to help cover expenses such as books, travel, and other personal expenses. Students are paid twice a month for hours worked. Students who have questions regarding their paychecks or timesheets should contact their campus supervisor. FWS awards are not credited to your tuition bill.

The University offers a variety of jobs on campus and in community service settings. Students choose their own jobs and must apply and interview directly with the employer. Pay rates range from $8.25 to $13 per hour for undergraduate work-study positions.

Student workers are exempt from Social Security and Medicare withholding from September 1 - May 15.  Summer wages for students working May 16 - August 30 are FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxable. For questions concerning this information please contact the Payroll Department,

Both work-study and non-work-study job listings are available on Handshake. Student employees may hold only one FWS job at a time. A student with a FWS award may simultaneously hold a non-work-study job so long as he/she does not work more than a total of 19 hours per week.

All Federal Work-Study Authorization Forms must be picked up by the FALL Drop/Add date even if you will be deferring your award to the spring semester. (See information below regarding Spring Semester Work-Study for additional requirements.)

How do I get Work-Study?

Determination of eligibility for the FWS Program is made solely by the Office of  Student Financial Assistance, based on federal regulations and confidential information regarding the student's financial status. Students awarded FWS funds must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester.

Important dates -- 2017

July - Financial Aid award letters sent
Early August - work-study jobs made available for viewing
August 25 - Orientation session: "Navigating Work-Study"
August 30 - Campus Employment Fair
September 8 - last day to pick up Federal Work-Study forms
September 29 - last day to submit completed work-study forms

Work Study--Fall Semester

How do I find a Work-Study job?

Students may begin looking on Handshake for available work-study jobs beginning mid-August, but the actual authorization forms will not be available until the Campus Employment Fair.

· To begin this process the student must first be offered and accept Federal Work-Study.

· The student may then pick-up his/her Federal Work-Study Authorization Form at the Campus Employment Fair the Wednesday of the first week of classes (fall semester). After the fair, forms will be available at the Office of Career Services, 102 McMahon Hall until the last official day of the Drop/Add period. Authorizations that are not picked up by the end of Drop/Add period may be canceled and will not be reinstated. The FWS Authorization Form identifies the student as a participant in the FWS Program and the amount awarded. Actual earnings will depend on the number of hours worked and the hourly rate of pay.
· The FWS Authorization Form must be signed by the student and the employer and returned to the Office of Career Services, 102 McMahon Hall.
·  In addition to the FWS Authorization Form, students must have completed and signed I-9 and W-4 forms on file.
   Once this paperwork is completed and processed, the student and the hiring supervisor will receive an email
   authorizing the student to begin working. Only then is the student to begin working.

Campus Employment Fair

Held the first Wednesday of the Fall semester
Representatives from many campus offices will be on hand to describe the jobs (work-study and non-work-study) they have available and to hire those students who are interested. Work-study students can take this opportunity to get all their work-study paperwork processed including the authorization forms, I-9 form and W-4 form.

What do I need to work?
Before you begin your Federal Work-Study job there are a few forms that must be completed and signed and documents that need to be presented.
· I-9 Form: Documents that establish identity and employment eligibility. For example, but not limited to:
   Current U.S. passport, driver's license or state ID card, birth certificate or Social Security Card
· Federal Work-Study Authorization Form
· W-4 Form
· Students are also strongly encouraged to use direct deposit for their paychecks.

Spring Semester Work Study

If you have your FWS paperwork:
The student completes the Student Section of the FWS Authorization Form and searches for a position. Available positions are posted on Handshake and on our home page ( The hiring supervisor will complete the FWS Form. The Form is then returned to the Office of Career Services, Room 102 McMahon Hall. First-time student workers will require additional paperwork: a completed and signed I-9 and W-4 form. Once this paperwork is completed and processed the student and the hiring supervisor will receive an e-mail authorizing the student to begin working. Only then is the student to begin working.

In order to defer your work-study award to the spring semester, students must have notified the Office of Student Financial Assistance (see below*) by the drop add date (Friday, September 8th). Students who have picked up their Authorization Forms must retain them until the Spring or bring them to the Office of Career Services for holding.   *If you do not plan to begin your work-study until the spring term, please contact the  Office of Student Financial Assistance before September 8th.  Your work-study award will be reallocated to the spring term at 50% of the original offer amount.

If you do not have your FWS paperwork:
All Federal Work-Study paperwork must be picked up by the FALL drop/add date.

Changing Your Work-Study Job:
If you are changing your current work-study position come to the Office of Career Services and you will be given new paperwork to complete. Available positions are posted on Handshake.

Non Work-Study Campus Employment:
Many offices on campus hire non work-study students, and are available at the Campus Employment Fair (held in the fall) to hire students. After the Campus Employment Fair, please contact individual departments directly in inquire about possible openings. Some positions may be posted on Handshake.