The Catholic University of America

Information on Work-Study

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program that provides subsidized part-time employment for students with financial need. The FWS amount in your aid package is the allotment of money that you may earn during the academic year. Earnings are used to help cover expenses such as books, travel and other personal expenses. Students are paid twice a month for hours worked. FWS awards are not credited toward your bill.

The university offers a variety of jobs on campus and in community service settings. Students choose their own jobs and must apply and interview directly with the employer. Pay rates range from $7.25 to $13 per hour for undergraduate work-study positions.

Both work-study and non-work-study job listings are available on Cardinal Connection. Students employees may hold only one FWS job at a time. A student with a FWS award may simultaneously hold a non work-study job so long as he/she does not work more than a total of 19 hours per week.

What do I need to get work-study?

Determination of eligibility for the FWS program is made solely by the Office of Financial Aid, based on federal regulations and confidential information regarding the student's financial status. Students awarded FWS funds must be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents and must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester at CUA.

How do I find a work-study job?

To begin this process, a student must first be offered, and accept, Federal Work-Study

The student may then pick up their Federal Work-Study Authorization Form at the Campus Employment Fair the Wednesday of the first week of classes. After that date, they will be available at the Career Services Office, 202 Pryzbyla Center until the last official day of the Add/Drop period. The authorization form identifies the student as a participant in the FWS program and the amount awarded. Actual earnings will depend on the number of hours worked and the hourly rate of pay.

The FWS authorization form must be signed by the student and the employer and returned to the Career Services Office, 202 Pryzbyla Center.

In addition to the FWS authorization form, students must have completed and signed I-9 and W-4 forms on file. Once this paperwork is completed and processed the student and the hiring supervisor will receive an email authorizing the student to begin working.

Campus Employment Fair

Held the first Wednesday of the Fall semester

Representatives from many campus offices will be on hand to describe the jobs (work-study and non-work-study) they have available and to hire those students who are interested. Work-study students can take this opportunity to get all their work-study paperwork processed including authorization forms, I-9 and W-4.

What do I need to work?
Before you begin your work-study job, there are a few forms that must be completed and signed and documents presented.

  • Documents that establish identity and employment eligibility must be presented in original form.
  • Work-study authorization form must be signed by student and employer.
  • I-9 must be completed and signed, documents must be presented to verify eligibility to work within the U.S.
  • W-4 must be completed and signed.
  • Students are also strongly encouraged to use direct deposit for their paychecks

All student workers are required to complete FERPA and Harassment Prevention training. The training for both takes less than one hour.